HOUSE Signoria COUNTY OLOCAU. Text donated by Ferran Zurriaga What we know today as whole Signoria House is an architectural reality that has been built over the centuries and in it are fulfilled: a tower of probable Roman origin, used as a defense to an Islamic farmhouse and then exploited as manor of the Barony first and after Olocau Valley, formed by the present towns of Olocau, Marines and Gátova County home. The set is also popularly known as the Castle. Signoria house that was transformed until it was demolished at the end of the seventeenth century. In 1796, it was rebuilt again by Fenollet and in 1805 the Countess Simforosa Valldaura Crespi, VDA. Didac Count of Fenollet and Vallterra, makes the last changes, by making it part of his summer residence. The tower continues to monitor the current Olocau, it is the oldest building of our villa. Its base can be Roman construction, and others that can be found in other places of Valencia. At a certain time the Romans to control the conquered population built these strongholds. Around this remains have been found and signs of Roman works, abandoned and dilapidated at the time of the Christian conquest of the Aragonese and Catalan; those people gave the name of Pardines, Catalonia place name meaning place with ruins, would seem surrounded the tower.
HOUSE FIRST CENTURY XV SIGNORIA With the conquest by the Christians, Vilaragut will remake the Arab castle Hisn Al-Uqab (eagle castle) in the Catalan transcription of the conquerors will remain as Castle of Olocau, along with the towers of Marines, Olla and Pardines and around the latter farmhouse built the house of the Lordship of the Valley. As the residence of the castle, which now began to be known as Castle Real de Vilaragut was abandoned, he was developing entire administrative structure Manor Valley in this place where we are now, and the Tower of Pardines and his farm is Olocau become the present. There also with the Carthusian Signoria Portacoeli 1398, built the church instead of Pardines. Later a document from 1493 says, “dit lloc Congregats in Pardines, Donant the house Dita Senyor, ea porthole dit l’església lloc ..” (Gathered in this place of Pardines, giving the said Lord’s house, and the door of the church of that place … It means that in this place the general council of the Valley, which was the way to organize the government held the feudal lords. In this act of General Council of the inhabitants of Valle and honor of Olocau, Marines and Gátova is present Baron Pere Ramon de Vilaragut. THE PALACE HOUSE FOR CENTURIES XVI and XVII. The part can be described as an irregular building and forming one body with the tower as a central axis, on the first floor which was the prison of the Barony and on the second floor renovated by the Vilaragut, Snail room a name given by the shape of the staircase which gave access to it. The construction surrounding the tower would be similar to the current Benisanó Castle. Messrs rooms, the servants’ quarters, kitchens and wine cellar. This building was completely demolished except the tower, since the events of XVIII had broken in part and also one of the battlements of the tower fell over the room Aljibe. The entire assembly was enclosed by a wall and there was a garden with a pond. Some walls of this building may be found in the courtyard of the Tower with medieval cistern and the remains of the raft. NEW HOUSE OF FENOLLET. CENTURY XVIII When in 1787 Didac of Fenollet and Vallterra, takes possession of the County of Olocau, the House is in a great ruin. In fact the count, in their tents, used as residence house on Main Street that was later known as the Caios where ceramic altarpiece Holy Didac is. According to legend one day the countess found a worm on your plate carob angry and told the Count not again Olocau, until they restored the house of Honor. That was how the count in 1796 rebuilt the manor house. This building will have on one side the old church, which seems to be used only as a cemetery since 1748 had built the parish church of Nuestra Señora del Roser, located in the Plaza Mayor. THE HOUSE OF THE COUNTESS SIMFOROSA VALLDAURA Crespi, XIX CENTURY. Simforosa Valldaura Crespi, Dowager Countess of Olocau, had a predilection for Olocau, and is possibly the county’s character witnesses has stopped passing through our town and county. In summer sold in Olocau and toured the Valley with his pilgrimage to the Holy Cave. The fact is that the house built by Count Didac did not seem worthy enough and decided to enlarge. 1805 Miquel Bergara, Llíria master builder who had been recognized by the Academy of Fine Arts of San Carlos of Valencia, was the builder of the current home. The existing tile in Olocau, provided the tiles, pieces of ceramic tiles and cornices of the work. HOUSE OF ROMERO, XIX and XX CENTURY. With the death of Pasqual III Fenollet and of Valldaura Crespi in 1871 inherited County niece Maria del Carme Valldaura Crespi, wife of the knight of Montesa, Josep Quint Zaforteza, resident in the city of Palma in Mallorca. The house had become the residence of Roc Romero and Puig, and after his son Lluís Romero managers and agents of the counts. The Romeros were descendants of Alonso Romero, resident of Gátova in 1617, which were descendants Marine Romero, one Francesc Romero, worker villa, was established in Serra was born there in 1811, Romero and Roc Puig, who married Francisca Agusti and Oliver, fixing residence in Olocau, to be appointed guardian of the Count. 1902, the house and the land of direct rule pass Marià Zaforteza and of Valldaura Crespi son of the Countess. In 1918, Lluis Romero’s daughter, Cecilia Romero married to Vincent Agusti and their children still live house. In 1959, the house and the land of direct ownership become the property of Francisca’s family, Cecilia and Maximo Romero and Bernad. The November 25, 1998, the descendants of Francisca Romero and Cecilia Romero sold to the City of Olocau House of Honor. THE BACKYARD Located in the courtyard known as the “Pla del Castell” (filled the castle), we are in the historical center of the town of Olocau. This name has not always been our people. After the conquest by the Aragonese and the Valencian Catalan lands to the thirteenth century, the town’s name was Pardines, a name that meant Catalan place where old walls, remains of ancient buildings, often Roman, Al our fencing and some of the walls of the house before the current could still lucid, worked stones find some remains of the Roman villa, one of the Roman villas of the patricians of Edeta (Llíria), which show the arrival of the Christian knights walls overthrown that would be known as the pardines and hence the village or Pardines be known Islamic farmhouse. THE MAIN FACADE The main facade has three balconies, like all other openings of the house appear framed by tiles. The front door has a threshold or branches of stone from the quarry Lloma of Clotxes, it is the work of enlargement of 1805; in it, to the top, it is the space where the county would have to go shield, coat who was stung in the revolt of 1812 against the feudal power of the Countess. On the left, the last restoration open the door to the house made by Fenollet which shows in its top a stone plaque commemorating the date of the construction in 1796. WINERIES O “CUPS” WINE The other set of buildings that closes the attached yard perpendicularly to the main building was intended for the production of wine. Form a body at two levels, smaller wineries or two cups 19’60 over and one by 7’40 meters. The building is covered with tile resting on molded beams. Presses and wine collecting basins complete this space. The wall forms the dividing wall to the main building responds to one of the wall of the house of the fifteenth century, with the typical closed Valencian tile and mortar. On the roof of the entrance is the last wooden beam filling the Cypresses around the Fountain of Health, formerly known as the Cypresses, to exist in the environment many of these trees. Also here you can find signs of the rafters of the “Cambreta de les Monges” (room of the nuns) reminiscent of the period when nuns from the French city of Nimes (France), started coming in 1880, and his wine made here, while phylloxera had destroyed the vineyards of the country. From that place they watched the process of obtaining the wine. A broker brings us to the rafts wine collection and graffiti walls show numerous signs and annotations of the workers, who had the pitchers that were collected. You have to look at the camera built on the collection space Wine wineries and especially the partitioning system shaped reed and then coated on one side with plaster, a traditional system of construction of the separation of olocauinas houses. System is considered by the architects how very successful by the way it provides and the insulating qualities presenting lucida cane with plaster. THE CELLAR A corridor of 2.20 meter amplitude tile around you enter the winery formed by a half-covered basement with five laps completed with flat floors and campaneles separated by arches. They are architecturally one of the most valuable sets of the house turns such thin floors “Catalan” and as adjusted by the perfection of the placement of the tiles. The workers who built them, Bergara Llíria had learned his craft well. THE MILL Attached to the manor house and a twin threshold at the front door is the mill, one floor space of 11’60 by 4 meters, and water-covered, which initially was a roof on the first floor. In principle this space was used to store carriages and then the mill was in 1810. This space occupies much of the site of the old church, built in 1394 by the Carthusian Portacoeli. In the eighteenth century became the new church from the Plaza Mayor and the old went to the cemetery in 1757. In 1805 with the expansion of the Countess Simforosa house was demolished. Apparently it was a small church such as the “Conquest” with round wooden gable door with arch segments, some of which are now part of the floor of the mill. QUAD WELL In the courtyard were the remains of a raft collecting water from the aqueduct of Alcala, ravine Thieves and the Arc de Fraile, brought water to the house in time of Roman and medieval times. The same building later was used to collect water from the spring of Cypress and finally a well opened. A county document says: “In 1806 the pit outside the palace with his concrete, with their conduits for input i output water from the Fountain of Cypress, with its box wall, curb and three spades formed.” In this space in the fifteenth century there was also a few cups or wine and wineries. NORTHERN FRONT In this place you have to take a look at the north side of the house. Achieved probably the best part. Displays a crowning triangular pediment or having a cornice molding ceramic tiles, with classicistas elements that refer to the eighteenth century neoclassical tastes attended when they were built. The triangular pediment the eardrum opens with two small windows. THE MANOR HOUSE We walked in the door threshold stone to the door where the ladder by which you access the upper floor is located. On the right a semicircular arch gave an enclosure where access remains “Cambreta de les Monges” and another door leading to the wineries are. For a bow CamPanel we left the courtyard of the Tower. On the floor of this space the top of the back entrance to the cellar is a perfect work. PATIO DE LA TORRE This court, in the process of excavation and restoration, shows the basics of the house built by the Vilaragut honor, attached to the tower. Construction similar to that of the castle Benisanó, in which the tower is in the center and around the manor house is built. Regular gaps Tower beams correspond to the buildings that once were houses. On the northern border of the tower you can still discover the arc of the staircase leading upstairs. Also next to the tower a well, a pond and other remains of medieval buildings opens. This space was transformed into the garden of the house at the time of Countess Simforosa, which grew a pomegranate, a quince and almond with a solid surrounded by tiles and a pylon which had ceramic cups with geraniums. In the beds there were many kinds of mallows, jasmine, lilies, the “jalapa mirabilis” or donpedro; by the wall of the enclosure grew the “Ipomoea acurrinata” or pulley and blue flowers “coenulea Passiflora” or Passiflora also known as the flower of the three keys. There was also a source of water in the Fountain of Health with a flat spikes for birds to drink, municipal concession to allow building and let the water tank of the fountain in the Plaza of the field house. TOWER PARDINES La Torre, now free of other buildings, is based on the typical pyramid built by the Romans and similar to Xàtiva Castle. 12 by 9 meters, recovered from the first floor, its rectangular prism shape. Built in “opus incertum” as well in some areas, it appears finished with mortar. The upper body work of the dominion of the Vilaragut shows that the bulwark was increased to a considerable height, and the thick walls of stone and mortar reinforced with corner tile arranged in records of more than 60 cm, out of the defunct facing the East. The first floor has a room in which a kind of silo is opened to store food or water tank made function. This building served as a county jail until the nineteenth century that was wiped out by the staircase that led upstairs. Upstairs three empty floors framed by reinforcements are opened; this plant is surely to lose facing East is plunged due to the events of XVIII. With the construction of the house Fenollet, it seems that to avoid further demolition of the tower walls were lowered and remained at the level of the roof of the new building. BLOCK AND BARN Going to the left is a space that was the block. It is the “Cambreta de l’herba” (Room grass), in the walls we can see the gaps and leftover beams Fenollet building. In 1614, here he was the old cellar, one where boats had * sinquanta sis Co is sinquanta four buitantenes sexantenes and two … ” A ladder you go up to 26’20 barn by 5 meters with four windows for lighting, one overlooking the courtyard of the Tower. In a kind of closet it is preserved boiler carbide, which was used from 1808 to illuminate the home in countess Simforosa time Valldaura Crespi. MAIN PLANT FLOOR The main floor consists of three wide rooms, one after the other, which give the rest of the cameras: the office, the oratory, bedrooms and a camera that is destined for a time to the breeding of worms silk silver system. Is the kitchen which was expanded in 1864 when the toilet from there moved to the ward office; it is no central Aragonese style home and a local style. A cantarera and some drainer, banks coal fires is completed. A small room next plays pantry of the house; it had beehives to produce honey. The pavement around the floor is of red tiles and in two rooms and the office has a center with floral motifs, typical of the eighteenth century. The third room, which has two balconies one west and one to the north, was the main room. In it, a cornice frames the ceiling. This room on the northern balcony overlooking a terrace occupying the entire mill cover. L oratory in an arch covers where would the wooden altarpiece. We must comment panoramas are discovered from the various balconies of the plant, and how they made real the saying “In Olocau tot are caus” as the villa is located in a burrow as the mountains. HISTORICAL CHRONOLOGY OF THE HOUSE The Vilaragut is a Catalan lineage, the origin of which according to family tradition could have been the royal house of Hungary, where they spent to Catalonia; in fact, in his coat they carry the same weapons. The manor house situated near the Oristà at Lluçanès one and the other, in Castell d’Emporda, former San Marti Llaneres to Lower Empurdán. Present at the conquest of the Valencian lands (1238) in making Xàtiva and Swedish. The line of Vilaragut Olocau began with Ramon de Vilaragut and Sarria, who was too young to Sicily (1344), was succeeded by his son Antoni de Vilaragut and Visconti (Sicily 1336 – Valencia 1400) and master of the barony and Olocau Valley, creating the link to the lineage Vilaragut Valley in 1398. The lineage succession passed to the Fenollet in 1691, descendants of Anna and Margarida Vilaragut Castellvi, (daughter of the first Earl of Olocau), married with Didac of * Fenollet and Albinyana, Mr. Genovese. The Fenollet are an original lineage of Fenollet Vizcondado (The Fenolleda), in the department of Pyrenees Orientale (France), the line of Valencia comes from one of them, established in the first half of the fourteenth century in Xativa. In 1375, Francisca de Fenollet was the wife of Roderic Borgia, Pope Alexander VI grandparents. Guerau of Fenollet and Sanç of Castellverd inherited Genoese and Xiu, and their descendants acquired by marriage Olocau County and Marquis de Llanera, sometimes adopting the name of Vilaragut Sanç; the lineage became extinct in 1871. CHRONOLOGY 1287. King Alfonso Benign, granted permission to rebuild the castle of Olocau and acquire general term Pardines locations, Marines, Gátova, Torres, pot, Pitxiri Garrofera and his secretary Ramon and Escorna. 1355. King Pedro of Aragon donates all real rights and jurisdiction Valley Olocau his admiral Matthew Mercer. 1368. On June 30, the valley of Olocau and their places are purchased by Antoni de Vilaragut and Visconti’s heirs Matthew Mercer. 1388. King John I, gives Antoni de Vilaragut privileged trading franchise Valley residents Olocau. 1394 The Bishop of Valencia, authorizes the Portacoeli Prior and Lord Olocau Valley, the construction of a church attached to the vicarious perpetuates Llíria Villa near the tower instead of Pardines. Vilaragut 1398. Antoni of the August 23, 1398 creates the link of his lineage with the lands of the barony Olocau Valley, formed by the places of Pardines, Marines, Gatova, Olla, La Garrofera, Pitxiri and Torres. 1451. A document fourth Baron Olocau, Ramon Pardo Vilaragut and caste, known as the Lord’s house, located in the place of Pardines. 1493. A document of the barony says: “dit lloc Congregats in Pardines, Donant the house Dita Senyor ea porthole dit l’església lloc …” 1494. Pere Ramon de Vilaragut and BODYW VI Baron Olocau Valley, take possession, “Foren ajustats i lloc congregats in Pardines dit dita Donant the house ea Senyor the porthole dit església lloc …” 1509. The Baron is Alonso VII I Vilaragut and Boils Vives, in his time the farmhouse of Pardines is becoming known as Olocau, taking the name of the castle and the valley. The June 23, 1509, a sentence ruled says: “the town of Olocau in favor of Miquel Alonso Vilaragut and Vilaragut”. 1569. The inventory of items stored in the house of the Lord, done to death by Bernat Joan IV and Andreu de Vilaragut and Sánchez-Dalmau, says: “a la Vella trobat room is a two Portes de Ferro Castell de la muntanya “(in the Old room found two iron gates of the castle of the mountain), it means that it has abandoned as lordly residence of the Royal Castle * Vilaragut. 1589. The X baron, Joan of Vilaragut and Sanç of Cardona, the Viceroy, imprisoned in the tower of the Honourable Member to the Moorish authorities Valle, who refuse to pay certain “networks of agreement” signed in Concord times Pere Ramon de Vilaragut, VI Baron. The Moors get win the lawsuit and will be released. Alonso II Vilaragut 1609. Pardo of the Caste son of Baron X and Joan of Unyon Alcaide, in charge of accompanying the Moors expelled to embark at the port of Valencia, according to a letter signed on 10 October 1609. 1628. Alonso II of Vilaragut and Pardo of the Caste, is distinguished by King Philip IV through the Council of Aragon, the February 18, 1628, with the title of Count I of the Olocau Valley and of Spain. 1628. On June 6, marry in Olocau Vilaragut and Anna Margarida de Castellvi Sanç olim with Fenollet and Albiñana Didac, III Lord of Lugar Nuevo de Fenollet and Genovès. 1637. Jordi Castellvi olim Sanç Vilaragut and takes possession of the Valley as II Conde Olocau Olocau del Valle. 1650, the Second Earl and Marquis de Llanera and he settled in the House of the Lordship of Olocau. 1657.Josep I, Francesc Bernat of Vilaragut, olim Sanç Abreu and Lima, III Count of Olocau, born in the mansion of the Lordship of Olocau, son of the second Earl of Olocau, Jordi Vilaragut Sanç olim and his wife Agnes de Silva Abreu Lima and daughter of the Earl of Regalados and Lindoso (Portugal). His sister Margaret of Vilaragut Abreu and Lima, Marchioness of Valmediano, (Madrid), also born in Olocau. 1676. Jordi Vilaragut Abreu and Lima, II Count of Olocau and Y Marquis de Llanera, dies in the palace or house of the Lordship of Olocau house. Pasqual 1691. Vicent of Fenollet as second grandson Alonso de Vilaragut and by judgment of the Court of Valencia obtains the rights of territorial lord Olocau County and Marquis de Llanera. Didac 1796. The Earl of Fenollet Vallterra Blandas, Simforosa married Valldaura Crespi, rebuild the house of the Honourable Member that the earthquake had destroyed the beginning of the century, building a new separate building of the tower and being exempt. 1805. The Dowager Countess of Olocau, Simforosa Valldaura Crespi hires the master builder of Llíria, Miquel Bergara to extend the house that her husband had started Didac of Fenollet. The old church that occupied the place where part of the new mill is installed will be demolished. The current winery, barn and the main floor that will become the summer residence of the countess and their children, Concepción, and Pasqual of Fenollet Didac is made. 1812. The decree of abolition of the feudal makes people rise up against the lords; in August of that year he was chopped Count shield door of the house. 1861. The town of Olocau Pasqual agrees with Count III of the Lordship Fenollet redemption, the payment of 70,000 reales within four years. The count will stay with the house of the Lord, the direct ownership of lands Pitxiri, Gumarsal and Olivar del Conde in Olocau, La Garrofera farmhouse in the municipality of Marines, the Garden of Alcaide in Gátova and the Mont Blanc terms of Olocau, Marines and Gátova. Roc 1864. Romero and Puig, attorney Earl happens to live in the House of Honor. Die 1871. Count III of Fenollet Pasqual while direct heirs and properties of direct rule and Mount Blanco County passed to his niece on her mother, Maria del Carme Valldaura Crespi married to Josep Quint Zafortesa, Knight of Montesa and resident of the city of Palma de Mallorca. Roc Romero and his son Lluís Puig and Romero remain as guardians of the Countess and the Romero family lives in the house Signoria. 1891. The countess makes donation to the City of Olocau Marines and Mont Blanc, to use their neighbors. 1902. The lands of the direct control of the Countess and the manor passed to his son Marià Zaforteza and of Valldaura Crespi resident in Palma de Mallorca; continues as land seized Lluís Romero Agusti. 1918. On the death of Angela Lund, Marià Zaforteza woman, house and land nephews pass this, Mateu, Josep and Didac Mussoles Zaforteza and residents in Palma de Mallorca. Cecilia Romero Lluís daughter, her husband Vicent Agusti and children are the inhabitants of the house. 1959. The brothers sold Mussoles Zaforteza and direct ownership of land and home to the descendants of the sons of Lluís Romero Agusti: Brothers Francisca, Cecilia Romero Bernad and Massimo. The last inhabitants of the house will be in 1967, Cecilia Romero and his son Vincent Bernad Agustí Romero. 1998. The heirs of Cecilia Romero Francisca and Bernad, sold in the city of Olocau house Signoria.